Wednesday, July 13, 2011

New directions

"Fraser Island"acrylic on board. 610x450
Peter Kreet
In order to jolt my mind and conceptual thinking ,I often paint a small series of work completely out of character with current work. These paintings have been developed on and off over the last year so while working on the series Fragments of Memory [ see blog]. Such activity ensures that I can continually approach my work with fresh eyes and not become bogged down in repetitious series of variations as often happens to many artists. Often galleries and dealers require a continual output of related work.


"Murwillumbah"
acrylic on board. 610x450
Peter Kreet

"Nambucca Heads"
acrylic on board 610x450
Peter Kreet

"Nambucca Heads II "
acrylic on board 610x450
Peter Kreet

"Coastal Vista"
acrylic on board 610x450
Peter Kreet
With this in mind I have attempted examine and reduce subject matter to basic elements, the simplified strong colour contrasts and surface textures enable me to look at landscape in a new way. At times I am able to introduce lively linear pattens and clashing colour effects such discords as red and green or blue and orange. This approach to painting is nothing new as both Henri Matisse and Andre Derain developed the style in 30's. Sometimes the exercise propels me towards either a new abstract or figurative series. These paintings were based on sketches I made on a trip to northern NSW and Queensland hope you like the results.



"Approximate Portrait of M"
acrylic on board
Peter Kreet

"Shepard Girls" by Peter Kreet
acrylic on board


This is a possible new appoach to portraits ,most likely I shall have to develope a different treatment of the face. In "Shepard Girls " below I reduced the figure to a siluette but this is not satisfactory for a portrait.

No comments: