Saturday, August 10, 2013

'What is the meaning of life?'


What is the meaning of life?

 

I once in my youth I asked this question of an old Greek man in Crete, he replies and said he didn’t know the ultimate meaning, but that there was meaning to be found in daily life if you look for it.

He pulled out a small piece of broken mirror which he said he had found when he was a small boy, and he had used it to reflect light into dark and shadowy places. He was not the light he said, but he had the capacity to reflect it and as he grew up he realised this was his place in the scheme of things in terms of wisdom and knowledge. He could by the life he lived reflect light into places where it needed to be.

That comes as close as anything to my life. Where this piece of wisdom originated I have no idea, but it would stand the test for anyone who needs to know the meaning of life.

No comments: